Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Granny's Angel Biscuits

My grandmother passed away this past March.

My favorite memory of my grandmother is a Saturday spent baking bread. I had never made yeast bread before, and since my mother hates the feel of kneading dough, granny was my instructor. Ever since that day, I think of my grandmother every time I bake.

Angel biscuits are my favorite biscuits! They are light and warm, and they are a delicious blend of roll and biscuit.



2 packages dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
2 cups buttermilk
5 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbs baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup shortening

Combine yeast and water, and let stand for 5 minutes. Add buttermilk to yeast mixture and set aside.

Combine all remaining ingredients (except shortening) in a large bowl.

Cut in shortening into flour mixture with a pastry blender until resembles peas.

Add buttermilk mixture, stirring just until moistened. Knead lightly 4-5 times,

Roll dough to half-inch thickness, and cut with a 2.5 inch biscuit cutter.

Place on a lightly greased baking sheet, and cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour. (I put mine in the oven, and turned the oven on to as it would go.)

Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

Yield: 2 dozen

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment